The Creole trinity of flavors are here in the form of onion, bell pepper and celery. For an authentic Creole meal, serve these delightful patties with steamed rice and sliced tomatoes or a pot of greens.
Makes 6 patties.
- 1/2 c raw sunflower seeds
- 4 oz whole grain bread, torn in pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 c onion, chopped
- 1/3 c green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 c celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp Creole seasoning
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Place the sunflower seeds, bread, eggs, onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic and Creole seasoning in a food processor or blender and, scraping the sides of the bowl down occasionally, process the mixture until most of the seeds are ground down and all ingredients are incorporated. You should have a thick batter at this time.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium low. Form the batter into 6 small patties with your hands. Place them in the hot oil and brown them lightly (only a couple of minutes). Turn and brown the other side. Turn off the heat, cover the skillet, and allow the patties to firm up in the residual heat for 5 minutes before serving.