Gluten flakes are an exciting new product. They are dried “chips” of beef-like wheat gluten that keep for two years on your pantry shelf, and rehydrate easily. Here at Vegetarian Underground, we are just learning how to employ them in various recipes. Here’s an easy breakfast use that your family will love:
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 c dark gluten flakes
- 1/4 c boiling water
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp beef-style vegetarian bouillon
- 2 T canola oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- Prepare potatoes the night before. Drop your potatoes in boiling salted water, bring back to boil, and simmer 3 minutes. Potatoes will be partially cooked. Drain and allow to cool. Chill overnight.
- In the morning, put dark gluten flakes in boiling water with soy sauce and beef-style vegetarian bouillon. (We use McKay’s Beef Style Broth and Seasoning Mix.) Allow to rehydrate for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the potatoes and brown fully before flipping. Brown the other sides. Add the onion, bell pepper, paprika, seasoned salt, black pepper and fully drained gluten flakes and saute for 3-4 minutes more. Serve with sliced tomatoes and eggs.