Cedar Lake, the company that makes Terkettes, also makes a wonderful All Purpose Breading Meal that can be used in this Classic Terkettes recipe. The breading meal has no preservatives or additives and only contains: whole wheat flour, potato flour, corn meal, nutritional yeast, onion powder, celery seed, salt and garlic powder. This product adheres so well to Terkettes that you can get away with taking the Terkettes straight from their broth and rolling them in the meal. However, I like to use an egg wash or, for a change of pace, I dip the Terkettes in a combination of mayonnaise and buttermilk before breading them. I guarantee your family will love these Terkettes!
- 6 Tbsp Cedar Lake All Purpose Breading Meal
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1-20 oz can Terkettes, drained or Seitan
- 1/2 c mayonnaise
- 2-3 Tbsp sweet pickle relish
- peanut or canola oil
- Place the breading meal in a small bowl.
- In another small bowl, beat the egg with the water.
- Dip the Terkettes in the egg wash and coat in the meal. Set aside.
- Mix the mayonnaise and relish well in a small serving bowl. Chill.
- Pour oil in a large skillet to a depth of 1/2 inch or more. Heat over medium low.
- Add half of the Terkettes and fry until golden brown on one side; turn and brown the other side.
- When nice and crispy, remove to a metal rack or strainer to drain. Repeat with the other half of the Terkettes.
- Serve the Terkettes hot with tartar sauce on the side. Any leftovers taste wonderful cold, right out of the fridge!