This pie is light and full of flavor. Even diners who are not usually fans of cauliflower will love this pie!
Makes one 9-inch pie.
- 1 egg white (reserve yolk for filling)
- 2 c cooked rice
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 c grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/4 c chopped onion
- 2 c chopped cauliflower (1/3″)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp tarragon
- 3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 c sour cream
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg white with a whisk until foamy.
- Mix in the rice, melted butter, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, rosemary and pepper.
- Press the rice mixture into the bottom and sides of a buttered 9″ pie plate, until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake until the edges and bottom just start turning golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Keep oven on and remove crust to cool slightly.
- In a large skillet over low heat, warm the oil.
- Add onion and cauliflower and saute 10 minutes or until starting to brown. Add in the salt and tarragon. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and egg yolk with a whisk until foamy.
- Add cauliflower mixture, sour cream, cheese, and green onions. Blend well.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pie crust. Sprinkle a little more tarragon on top if desired.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven until golden brown and set in the center, about 30 minutes. Serve hot or warm.