Proteinut is a versatile grain, nut, and soy loaf produced by Cedar Lake Foods. Cedar Lake Foods also makes Nuti-Loaf and NuteeSupreme, either of which would work as a substitute for Proteinut in this recipe.
- 10 oz Proteinut (1/2 can)
- 1 chayote
- 1 c red bell peppers
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 c canned unsweetened pineapple chunks with liquid
- 1 tsp Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 c cilantro, minced
- 1/2 c half ‘n half
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Cut the Proteinut into quarter-inch slices; then cut each slice into 6 wedges.
- Peel the chayote, cut in quarters, remove the seed and slice in thin wedges.
- Remove the end, membranes and seeds from the peppers and cut in bite-sized pieces.
- In a large skillet over high heat, melt the butter and add the Proteinut, chayote, and peppers.
- Coat thoroughly in the butter and allow to brown slightly turning 2-3 times.
- Add the pineapple with liquid, jerk seasoning, and salt.
- Stir well, cover, lower heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir again, cover, and continue simmering another 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the cilantro, half ‘n half and honey. Mix it into the skillet mixture.
- Serve over steamed rice with additional cilantro leaves if desired.