- 1 Tbsp olive oil 1/2 c onion, chopped 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped 1/2 tsp dry thyme 1/2 tsp dry oregano 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes 14 oz canned tomatoes 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium eggplants 2 Tbsp olive oil 2 eggs 1 c cottage cheese 1/2 c kale, minced (or use parsley or fresh spinach) 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp black pepper 1/2 tsp dry mint (or 1 Tbsp fresh mint, minced) 1 recipe for tomato sauce (below) 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium low; saute the onion and garlic until tender.
- Add the thyme, oregano, and red pepper flakes for another few seconds, stirring.
- Pour in the canned tomatoes and break them up a bit.
- Add the bay leaf and simmer 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove the bay leaf and place the sauce in a food mill or food processor to puree.
- Peel eggplants and cut crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet to medium high and spread olive oil evenly on the surface.
- Add the eggplant slices and cook about 4 minutes, turn and cook another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl beat the eggs lightly.
- Add the cottage cheese, kale, salt, pepper, and mint. Blend well.
- In the bottom of an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking pan, pour a large spoonful of the sauce and distribute evenly.
- Add half the eggplant slices in a layer.
- Cover with all of the cottage cheese mixture, evenly forming a layer.
- Place the remainder of the eggplant on top and pour the sauce on the eggplant layer, smoothing it out to the edges.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot.