- 1 1/2 lb peeled, trimmed eggplant
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 c water
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 c marinara sauce
- 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut eggplant into thin slices (1/4 inch). Place eggplant slices in a large (15 x 10 x 2 inch) baking pan or 2 smaller pans. Add oil and water. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast the eggplant for 20 minutes, turning the slices once midway. Remove and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- In an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking pan or similar, spread half the marinara sauce evenly. Add the eggplant on top, followed by the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over the dish.
- Place tomato slices in a pleasing arrangement on top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and oregano. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot.