Although this is a low fat, low sugar recipe, the muffins still come out moist and just sweet enough. They make a good lunch box treat, and they are also great with breakfast or a late night snack.
Makes 6-7 medium muffins.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c milk
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 c whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 c fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray or lightly butter 6-7 muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add milk, almond extract, and honey. Beat by hand until fairly smooth.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt until well-combined. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and blend just enough to incorporate.
- Fold in the blueberries and spoon into the muffin cups until 3/4 full. Bake about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Loosen sides with a butter knife and allow to stand a few minutes before turning out.