Ripe juicy mangoes are on the market here in California this Spring. Here is a new type of bran muffin, one with the sweet flavor of mangoes.
Makes 12 medium muffins.
- 1 c ripe mango puree (2 medium mangos)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c wheat bran
- 1/3 c brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and butter a 12-muffin baking tray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mango, egg, buttermilk, and oil.
- In a large bowl, blend flour, bran, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the mango mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until no dry ingredients appear.
- Spoon the batter into muffin tins, until they are approximately 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan 5 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely.