This is a low fat muffin that is soft and fluffy. The traditional combo of almond and coconut works beautifully in this low calorie treat.
Makes 8 medium muffins.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 c canned coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 c all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/4 c brown sugar, packed
- 1 c sweetened coconut flakes (plus 2 Tbsp more for topping)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 c finely chopped raw almonds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and butter 8 half-cup muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, coconut milk and almond extract.
- In a medium bowl, blend the flour, brown sugar, coconut flakes, baking powder, sea salt and almonds. Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl of milk mixture and fold them together, just until well-incorporated.
- Spoon into the prepared tins and sprinkle with a bit more flaked coconut. Bake about 20 minutes, or until just beginning to brown. Allow to stand 5 minutes before loosening the edges and removing to a cooling rack.