You need a large (12-inch) cast iron skillet for this cake. It’s easy and delicious enough for company!
Makes one large cake.
- 1 (30 oz) can sliced pineapple, reserving juice
- 1/2 c salted butter
- 1 c brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 c reserved pineapple juice or water
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 12-inch cast iron skillet, melt the butter on medium heat.
- Stir in brown sugar. Mix well.
- Drain pineapple in a sieve, reserving packing juice. Arrange pineapple slices in the skillet. Remove from heat.
- In medium large bowl, beat egg yolks. Add pineapple juice, granulated sugar, and vanilla; mix well.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until thick, but now quite stiff. Fold into the batter.
- Pour batter evenly over the pineapple slices in skillet, breaking up any large bubbles that surface.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes, run a spatula around the edges. Place a large platter on top and swiftly invert.
- Serve warm or chilled.