This is an easy, moist cake that is great as a dessert, snack, or even a weekend breakfast treat.
Makes 6 medium pieces.
- 1/4 c unrefined coconut oil
- 1/2 c brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 (15 oz) can Fruit Cocktail or Fruit Mix
- 1/2 c shredded dry unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 c confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8 X 8 X 2 inch baking pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, blend the coconut oil and brown sugar until smooth.
- Add egg and mix well.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Drain the Fruit Cocktail, reserving liquid for another use.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the drained fruit cocktail to the coconut oil mixture. Mix until well-incorporated.
- Fold in the coconut. (Batter will be thick like biscuit dough.)
- Drop the batter by spoonfuls in the prepared pan. Spread evenly.
- Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- In a small bowl, blend the confectioner’s sugar and water until smooth. Drizzle this icing over the hot cake. Cool at least 10 minutes before serving.