Defatted peanut flour, such as PB2, is much lower in fat and calories than peanut butter, and can be used in a variety of recipes. Here, we have a recipe for muffins that have no added fat, are made with honey as the sweetener, and whole wheat flour. These vegan muffins are only about 146 calories each, and perfect for a quick breakfast or lunchbox treat.
Makes 8 muffins.
- 1 medium ripe banana, well mashed
- 2/3 c unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 c honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 c whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c PB2 or peanut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 c chopped raw peanuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and place paper liners in 8 muffin tins. Spray the liners with cooking spray (optional).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, coconut milk, honey and vanilla until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, blend the whole wheat flour, PB2, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and blend just until no flour appears. Fold in the peanuts. If desired add one raw peanut to the center top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool on a rack before serving.