My daughter developed this recipe, and it makes the best brownies I have had! We used Anthony’s Organic Cocoa Powder and they came out great!
Makes about 9 medium brownies.
- 9 Tbsp butter (1 stick plus 1 Tbsp)
- 1 1/4 c sugar
- 1 scant cup all purpose unbleached flour
- 2/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1/2 tsp fine ground coffee powder, sifted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 c coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and butter an 8x8x2 inch baking dish.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and sugar together, until they just begin to simmer. Remove from heat to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and coffee powder. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer bowl, beat the eggs and vanilla until creamy.
- On medium low, continue beating as you slowly trickle in the melted butter mixture.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients, mixing just until incorporated. (Do not over-mix.)
- Remove bowl from electric mixer and using a spatula, fold in the nuts.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a crumb or two.
- Allow to cool in pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Store any leftovers, tightly wrapped, at room temperature. (Still great the second day!)