- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 c water (or bean cooking liquid)
- 3/4 c evaporated milk
- 1 c shredded Parmesan cheese (or 1/2 cup grated Parmesan)
- 3 c cooked Great Northern beans, drained
- 1/4 c plain dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and butter a 9-inch pie plate or 9 x 9 inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add onions and sauté about 3 minutes, or until tender, but not browned.
- Add flour, salt, and pepper. Stir until well combined and bubbly.
- Add water and milk. Stir until thickened.
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Remove from flame.
- Place 1 cup of the beans in the prepared baking dish. Top with a fourth of the Parmesan sauce. Repeat once.
- Add last cup of beans to top, followed by remainder of sauce.
- Sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs and bake 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbling at edges. Serve hot or warm with a good salad.