The tartness of the tomatillos compliment the Italian cheeses and spices in this dish. It’s delightful!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian herb blend
- 3/4 c water
- 1-6oz can tomato paste
- 1-15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 c ricotta, cottage cheese, or soft tofu (mashed)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1 lb fresh tomatillos, peeled, thinly sliced
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 lasagna oven-ready noodles
- 3-4 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add onions and saute 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and Italian herbs; saute another half-minute.
- Add water, tomato paste, tomato sauce, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly oil a 13 x 9 x 2 inch lasagna pan.
- In a medium bowl, blend the ricotta, eggs, mint and parsley.
- Ladle one-third of the sauce in the bottom of the pan and spread evenly.
- Add three lasagna noodles side by side, one-third of the mozzarella, and another third of the sauce.
- Next add one-third of the sliced tomatillos and arrange them evenly. Add three more lasagna noodles, one-third of the ricotta mixture, and three more lasagna noodles.
- Sprinkle on another third of the mozzarella, the remaining sauce, and another third of the tomatillos.
- Place the final three lasagna noodles on top and spread with the final third of the ricotta mixture, the remaining mozzarella, and the remaining tomatillos.
- Sprinkle heavily with Parmesan cheese and cover with oiled tin foil. Bake 30 minutes covered. Remove the tin foil and bake another 15 minutes.
- Allow to stand a few minutes before slicing and serving hot.