I’ve tried a lot of “Spinach Squares” recipes over the years, but this Vegetarian Underground original version is my favorite. It is moist and loaded with spinach, not overly cheesy. The dill, mint, onion and garlic blend perfectly in this dish.
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- 1/3 c onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 c half and half (coffee cream)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp dry dill
- 1/2 tsp dry mint
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 oz “deluxe” or “old fashioned” American cheese, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp Romano cheese, grated? (plus a little more for the topping)
- 16 oz frozen chopped spinach (thawed, drained and squeezed dry)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter generously an 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish.
- In a small skillet, melt the butter and saute the onion for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute another 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and stir in the half and half.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs well with a wire whisk and add flour, egg/half and half mixture, dill, mint, salt and baking powder; mix well until nearly smooth.
- Add the American cheese, Romano cheese and spinach. Mix well.
- Spoon into the pan and level. Sprinkle a bit more Romano cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Place in the broiler for another 2 minutes, watching closely to see it is just browning and bubbling on top, but not burning.
- Cut into squares.
- Serve with steamed rice and a green salad.