There are many varieties of this Tunisian breakfast stew. This vegetarian version contains curly endive, a member of the chicory family of greens. The stew, with its bread, beans, and eggs combination, is high in complete protein.
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 c chickpeas, rinsed and drained (canned or freshly cooked)
- 1 head curly endive (chicory)
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 c chopped capers
- 4 large slices rustic bread, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 eggs, hard cooked, chopped or sliced
- 1 – 4 tsp harissa or other hot chili sauce (optional)
- Clean and chop the greens, or tear them into bite-size pieces.
- Bring broth, cumin and olive oil to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add chickpeas, endive and lemon juice to the pot, and reduce heat to medium high.
- Cover and cook about 5 minutes, or until the greens wilt and are tender.
- Stir in the capers and remove from heat.
- Divide bread evenly among 4 soup or pasta plates.
- Top with chickpea and escarole mixture.
- Top each portion with chopped or sliced eggs.
- Serve hot with harissa or hot chili sauce.