Makes 8 medium muffins.
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c toasted wheat germ
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c dried cranberries
- 1 egg
- 1 c low fat buttermilk
- 1Tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 8 half-cup muffin tins with shortening or use paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon until well blended.
- Fold in the cranberries.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg and add the buttermilk and oil. Blend well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and blend just enough to incorporate everything.
- Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18 minutes or they are firm when lightly pressed on top.
- Remove to a cooling rack and cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with butter and honey.