This non-GMO coffee substitute, Kaffree Roma Roasted Grain Beverage, makes a delightful summer iced drink. The flavors in this recipe remind me of black licorice or Black Jack gum. It is absolutely addicting!
Makes one quart. Prep time: 5 minutes.
- 2 tsp Kaffree Roma
- 1 tsp molasses
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 c boiling water
- 2 c cool water
- 3-4 drops anise extract
- In a quart-sized canning jar (‘Mason jar’) with a tight lid, place the Kaffree Roma crystals, molasses, brown sugar and boiling water.
- Cap tightly and shake until well-dissolved.
- Open and add the cool water and anise extract. Cap and shake.
- Cover and chill until served.
- To serve, pour over full glasses of chipped ice. If desired, add black licorice sticks to garnish.
* I have used Kaffree Roma for many years, and I love it. Recently, I received a sample of this product from Atlantic Natural Foods, and in the interest of full disclosure, I have used it in this recipe.