Soybeans contain complete protein and are very helpful in a vegetarian diet. I make a large batch and freeze a few cups to use in various recipes.
Makes about 5 cups.
- 2 c dried soybeans
- Rinse beans 3 times and check for pebbles.
- Place soybeans in a 5-quart or larger pressure cooker. Add 4 cups water.
- With cooker uncovered, bring to boil on high heat. Turn off flame and cover with lid and pressure valve. Allow to stand 30 minutes.
- Drain off water. (This is an important step in preventing foaming and malfunction of the cooker.) Rinse beans and drain again.
- Place 3-4 cups of fresh cold water in the pressure cooker with the beans. Cover and apply valve. Bring to boil on medium high (valve will jiggle).
- Lower temperature a little until valve barely continues jiggling. Cook 10 minutes.
- Leaving cooker covered, turn off heat and allow beans to stand for 20 minutes, or until the pressure has released.
- Use beans immediately, or cool and store in refrigerator/freezer for later use.