These muffins make a great after-school snack with a glass of milk. They are also excellent for breakfast with coffee or tea.
Makes 6 large muffins.
- 1 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 c milk (dairy or vegan)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (or 1 flaxseed egg)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 c packed brown sugar
- 1/4 c whole wheat flour
- 3/4 c unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/2 c dark raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 6-muffin baking tray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the applesauce, milk, egg, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Add brown sugar and beat with wooden spoon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, unbleached flour, baking powder, baking salsa, cinnamon and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and blend well.
- Fold in the raisins.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin cups and bake 25 minutes, or until browned and sides pull away from pan.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove to cooling rack and cool completely before serving.