These snack balls are great for a high-protein, vegetarian snack or after-school treat. I like to serve them for breakfast with toast/crackers and fruit. They are great chilled and served straight from the refrigerator! Another use for them is in vegetarian soups. Their firm texture holds up to hot broth.
Makes 21 (1 inch) balls.
- 2/3 c roasted, unsalted almonds
- 1/2 fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Place the almonds, bread crumbs, egg and cheese in a food processor. Pulse/process until a dough forms.
- Make 1 inch balls, rolling them in your palms. You should make about 21 balls.
- Preheat a heavy skillet on medium low. Add the oil and heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add the nutty balls and use a spoon to rotate them often, cooking about 5 minutes total, or until lightly browned. Remove to a plate.
- Serve hot or chilled.