Spiced Plum JamYou cannot buy jam in any store that will taste as good as the homemade version. If the sterilization of jars is holding you back, try making this small recipe for refrigerated plum jam. You will find it easy, economical and delicious. This is especially good served with our Honey Health Bread recipe.
Makes about 3 cups.
- 1 pound plums (about 5-6 medium large)
- 1/4 c unfiltered apple juice
- 3/4 c sugar
- dash cinnamon
- dash mace
- dash nutmeg
- dash ginger
- Halve the plums and remove the pits. Leaving skins on, cut the plums into small chunks.
- In a 1 1/2 quart saucepan on medium low heat, cook the plums in the apple juice for about 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and spices. Stir until everything is well combined. If the plums remain too chunky, mash them a bit with a potato ricer.
- Cook for an additional 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Jam is done when it deepens in color and has been reduced to the consistency of thick honey (or reaches 220 degrees F). To test for consistency, you can also do a saucer test*.
- Cool, and refrigerate in tightly sealed glass containers for up to one month.