Homemade Chili Powder
I ran out of chili powder recently, and this recipe came in handy. It is medium in "heat", and will not overpower your recipes, but will definitely add a kick.
Makes about 1/2 cup.
- 4 dry ancho chilies
- 3 dry New Mexican chilies
- 1 Tbsp dry cilantro
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp Mexican oregano
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Cut the dry chilies in halves and remove the seeds and stems. Flatten them and place them on a large baking sheet and bake 1-2 minutes, or until crisp. (Careful! They burn easily!)
- When cool enough to handle, break chilies up and place in a food processor.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse until uniformly ground.
- Store in an airtight bottle for up to 6 months.