Pea Soup with Zaatar
- 1 c dry whole peas
- 8 c water
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 2 c crushed tomatoes
- 1 c cauliflower, chopped
- 1 c broccoli, chopped
- 1 c zucchini, diced
- 1 c yellow squash, diced
- 1 c carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp za'atar (or to taste)
- Sort and rinse dry peas. Soak overnight in plenty of water.
- Drain and rinse peas. Add the 8 cups of fresh water and place in a 5 quart or larger heavy pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour, partially covered.
- Add the broth and simmer another hour, or until the peas are very tender.
- Add crushed tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, and za'atar. Bring back to a simmer, and cook 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, but have not lost color.
- Serve hot with plain yogurt on top.