Cream of Vegetable Soup
Makes about 7-8 cups.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 hot chili pepper, seeded, minced
- 3 c chicken-style vegetarian broth
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 c chopped zucchini
- 1 c chopped carrots
- 1 c chopped cabbage or eggplant
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1/4 c quick-cooking couscous (optional)
- In a 3 quart or larger, heavy pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add onion, garlic and hot chili pepper. Sauté 3 minutes.
- Pour in the broth. Add the tomato, zucchini, carrots, cabbage and celery.
- Stir well and add the oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and bring just back to barely simmering. Serve as is; or turning off burner, add couscous, stir, cover and allow to stand 10 minutes. Stir again and serve hot.