Butternut Squash Herb Soup
This creamy vegan soup makes a light dinner. I like to serve it mith garlic naan bread.
Makes about 7-8 cups.
- 1 medium butternut squash (4-5 cups cubed)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno chili pepper, seeded, chopped
- 4 c vegetable broth, hot
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1-2 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 c coconut milk
- Peel the squash, cut it in 1" cubes, and deseed it. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy pot over medium heat, melt the coconut oil. Add onions and celery. Saute 3 minutes.
- Add cubed squash and cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the hot broth. Add parsley, thyme, basil, coriander, nutmeg, and curry leaves. Bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Mash squash in the pot with a potato masher until the soup is smooth, or use an immersion blender. (You may also use a stand blender, but follow manufacturer directions for safe processing of hot food.)
- Add coconut milk and stir well. Serve hot, with lemon slices if desired.