Vegetarian Pizza SauceThis is our version of a flavorful pizza sauce. Try it on French rolls, on a pre-baked pizza shell or, for best results, on your own rolled pizza dough. We like to add extra dry oregano to the top of the sauce layer.
Makes about 2 cups (enough for 2 large pizzas).
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dry parsley
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 c water
- 1 c canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp chicken style vegetarian broth mix
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- In a 2-3 quart heavy pot, saute the onion in the olive oil over medium low heat for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, parsley, oregano, basil, fennel, and red pepper flakes. Saute one minute.
- Stir in the water and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to lowest setting and loosely cover. Simmer for one hour.
- Stir in the broth mix, sugar and salt and continue to simmer, loosely covered, for another 30 minutes.
- Take off heat and allow to stand at least 30 minutes before use. If desired, use an immersion blender to puree this sauce, though it is good as is. (This sauce may be made a day or two ahead and refrigerated until used. The flavor will only improve.)