Plain and Sweet Pizza Sauce
Makes about 7 cups.
- 7 lbs fresh tomatoes
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- cracked pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp Mirin or other sweet wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp Mediterranean oregano
- 1/8 tsp ground fennel seed
- Blanch and peel tomatoes.
- Cut tomatoes into wedges and toss in a bowl. Strain tomatoes, reserving juice for later.
- Place tomatoes in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot with olive oil over medium high heat.
- Once simmering, reduce heat to medium low; add cracked pepper.
- Simmer until liquid evaporates and tomatoes begin to caramelize, adding more pepper if desired.
- Turn off heat and place tomatoes back in their juice to cool them a bit.
- Deglaze Dutch oven with Mirin wine.
- Using blender or food processor, puree tomatoes in their juice. Return them to the Dutch oven over low heat.
- Add bay leaves and fennel. Partially cover; simmer 30 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat. Discard bay leaves, and stir in oregano. Add salt and more pepper to taste.