Vegetable Alfredo Lasagna
The Alfredo sauce is rich, but it really makes the flavors of the vegetables come together! This dish may be assembled ahead of time, covered with foil and refrigerated for up to a day, then baked when needed.
- 2 c peeled and sliced carrots
- 2 c small cauliflower florets
- 2 c small broccoli florets
- 2 c diced zucchini (1")
- 2 c diced yellow squash (1")
- 16 oz regular lasagna noodles
- 8 Tbsp butter (1 stick)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 tsp all purpose flour
- 3 c heavy cream
- 2 c hot chicken style vegetarian broth
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 Tbsp minced parsley
- 2 c shredded Mozzarella cheese
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, place the carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini and yellow squash. Bring back to a boil and boil 2-3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables to a bowl and set aside. Reserve the boiling water.
- Place lasagna noodles in the boiling water and stir. Boil about 8 minutes, or until al dente. Drain noodles and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter on medium low heat. Add garlic and shallots and saute 2 minutes. Stir in the flour until it is well-blended and hot.
- Pour in the heavy cream and broth. Whisk until thick and hot. Remove from flame.
- Add Parmesan cheese, salt, white pepper and parsley; stir well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 13 x 9 x 2 inch lasagna pan, ladle a little sauce over the bottom of the pan. Place a layer of noodle on top, followed by vegetables, and topped with Mozzarella cheese. Repeat 2-3 times. End with sauce and vegetables.
- Cover dish with foil and bake about 45 minutes. Remove foil and allow to stand 10 minutes before slicing and serving hot.