Wheat Berry Burgers
I used khorasan wheat berries, which are a long, thin, highly nutritional variety, but any wheat berries will work. To cook them, try my recipe for Casserole-Ready Wheat Berries.
Makes 8 medium burgers.
- 2 c cooked wheat berries
- 1 c carrot, finely grated
- 1 c green onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 2-3 Tbsp oil for grilling
- In a food processor, grind the wheat berries until fine. Add the carrot, green onions, garlic, salt, pepper, eggs and flour. Process until a thick dough forms.
- Using hands, shape mixture into 8 patties while preheating a griddle or large skillet on medium.
- Coat the frying surface with oil. Working in 1-3 batches, fry patties until brown on both sides (3-4 minutes per side). Serve on hamburger buns with all the trimmings.