Broccoli SquaresThis dish can be assembled ahead of time, covered with foil, refrigerated, then slipped into the oven (uncovered) just before dinner. If you do not have baking mix, make your own from our recipe.
- 1 medium bunch fresh broccoli
- 5 oz fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2/3 c chopped onion
- 2/3 c chopped bell pepper
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp dry savory
- 2 c milk
- 1 1/2 c baking mix (Bisquick or similar)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400. Butter a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Peel touch skin off broccoli stems and remove any little leaves. Chop broccoli finely including peeled stems. You should have 6-7 cups of broccoli.
- In a saucepan, bring about 1 cup of water to a boil. Add 1/4 tsp of the salt and bring broccoli and mushrooms back to boil. Simmer 3 minutes. Drain well and place back in pot.
- Add onion, bell pepper, cheese and savory; blend. Place in bottom of prepared baking dish and smooth top.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, baking mix, eggs, salt, and pepper until smooth. Pour mixture over the vegetables.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and knife comes out clean.