Mint Marinated Carrots<
These lovely marinated carrots make a nice side dish with a sandwich. They are also especially good to take on a picnic or to serve with any Mid-Eastern meal.
Makes about one quart.
- 4 c carrots, peeled and sliced (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 Tbsp dry mint
- 1/2 Tbsp coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh mint (optional)
- Place carrots in a medium sauce pan and cover (barely) with lightly salted water. Bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer 4 minutes. Drain, reserving cooking liquid.
- In a 2-quart jar, place the oil, vinegar, garlic, dry mint, coriander seed, salt, pepper and sprigs of mint.
- Add carrots and enough of the cooking liquid to cover the carrots.
- Stir and allow to sit at room temperature until cool. Cap and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- Keep refrigerated and use with a week.