Vegan Chorizo Country Fries
For a weekend vegan breakfast, you can't beat these country fries. They are great served with biscuits and fruit. Enjoy!
Serves 3-4. Prep: 5 minutes. Cooking: 27 minutes. Total time: 32 minutes.
- 3 medium russet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (divided use)
- 10 oz Loma Linda Spicy Chorizo (1/2 can)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, minced (optional)
- 1/4 tsp season salt
- Peel potatoes and finely dice them (1/3 inch pieces). Place in pot and cover with lightly salted water. Bring to boil on high, reduce heat to low, and simmer 4 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and place in bowl of ice water. Set aside.
- Brush a large heavy skillet with 1/2 tablespoon of the oil. Place on medium low heat. Add the Spicy Chorizo; cook about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the Chorizo is nearly dry and browned in places.
- Remove Chorizo to a large plate, scraping the skillet fairly clean. Break Chorizo into crumbles to cool and set.
- Drain potatoes and pat dry.
- To the same skillet, add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil. When hot, add the potatoes, onion, bell pepper, garlic, jalapeno, and season salt. Cook about 12 minutes, stirring 3-4 times, until browned in places.
- Add back the chorizo. Serve hot.
*I have enjoyed Loma Linda products for years. Recently Atlantic Natural Foods sent free samples of their newest products, and I have used them in this recipe.