Taco Filling from TVP Granules
What could be easier than using textured vegetable protein to make a high protein taco filling? This recipe will make a dozen or more tacos. Add plenty of chopped and shredded veggies to the top!
Makes about 4 cups of taco filling
- 2 dry California chilies (optional)
- 1 c TVP granules/bits (textured vegetable/soy protein)
- 2 c boiling water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (7.75 oz) can tomato sauce or 1 c crushed tomatoes
- 1-2 Tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp taco seasoning, store-bought or homemade
- Remove stems of dry California chilies and crush them finely, or pulse them in a food chopper. (Leave seeds in.)
- Place chopped California chilies, TVP, and boiling water in a medium bowl. Stir well and allow to stand 15 minutes while proceeding with recipe.
- In a large, heavy skillet over medium low heat, warm the olive oil. Add onions and garlic. Sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add the TVP mixture, the tomato sauce, lime juice and taco seasoning. Stir and bring to a simmer. Stir constantly for 5 minutes, or until the seasonings have blended well and mixture has reduced to the texture desired.
- Use in hard or soft tacos with plenty of shredded veggies on top.