Easy Homemade Applesauce
This recipe will work with cooking apples, eating apples, or even apples that are beginning to lose their zest. No need to hover over the stove; you may tend to other chores while preparing this treat. Use as a dessert or breakfast treat. Freeze leftover applesauce to use in recipes as needed.
Makes about 3 cups.
- 4 large apples
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Leaving the peels on, cut the apples in quarters and remove core.
- Place apples in a 2-quart or larger covered casserole dish. Add water to the depth of about one inch.
- Cover and bake 1 hour, rotating apple quarters midway to get more even cooking.
- Cool 30 minutes, then drain apples, reserving liquid for another use.
- Place apples in a large food processor, and add cinnamon. Pulse until the sauce is the consistency you like.
- Serve warm or chilled. Great for use in various recipes as well!