Southern Eggplant Gumbo
Delicious served in bowls with a crusty bread, or spooned on top of a bed of brown rice, this is a healthy American Southern dish for the whole family.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 c chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, minced
- 12 oz frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh rosemary
- 3 c water
- 12 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium globe eggplant, peeled, cubed
- 12 oz fresh or frozen cut okra
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large heavy pot over medium heat, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add onions and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and jalapeños; sauté another minute.
- Add black-eyed peas, rosemary and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 40 minutes or until the peas are tender.
- Add tomatoes and eggplant. On medium heat, bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring mid-way to submerge the eggplant.
- Add okra and salt. Stir and bring to boil on medium heat. Again reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes more. Serve hot in bowls or over mounds of steamed rice.