These little vegetable cakes make a nice side dish for a memorable dinner. Serve with plenty of lemon wedges!
Makes about 18 small cakes.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil (divided use)
- 1 medium bunch fresh broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/3 c onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika (smoked or plain)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c fine plain dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F, and lightly oil a large baking sheet with one tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Bring a medium pot of water to the boil.
- Cut the ends off the broccoli stalks and peel them. Chop the stalks and florets roughly and place them in the pot of boiling water. Bring back to boil and simmer 5 minutes.
- Strain the broccoli well; place it in a food processor with the onion and garlic. (You may alternatively mince the vegetables by hand and mix in the other ingredients by hand as well.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, paprika, turmeric, nutmeg, and salt. Add this mixture to the food processor. Pour in the lemon juice and eggs.
- Pulse several times, until the mixture is fine and well-blended. Remove from processor and fold in the bread crumbs.
- With clean hands, form 2-inch discs that are 1/2 inch thick. Place them a half-inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake 25 minutes. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature with plenty of lemon wedges.