Homemade Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
There are many good vegan Worcestershire sauce brands. My favorite is Kroger. Although it is not labeled vegan, it has no anchovies or other animal-based ingredients, and is available in many supermarkets. If you can not find vegan Worcestershire in your area, or would like to save money on this wonderful flavoring, try my recipe for a good homemade version.
Makes about 1 cup.
- 1/4 c water
- 1/4 c distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 c malt vinegar
- 3 Tbsp molasses
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp citric acid powder
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/8 tsp ground mace or nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground clove
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for a minute or two, stirring often.
- Cool, transfer to bottle with tight cap.
- Refrigerate for up to 3 months.