Asian Broccoli SlawPackages of washed and chopped broccoli slaw are easy to find in most supermarkets and are very economical. Here is a crunchy, sweet Asian salad I think you will like.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 c wonton skins
- 2/3 c toasted almond slivers
- 4 c broccoli cole slaw blend
- 1/2 c green onions, finely sliced
- 1/4 c red bell pepper, finely julienned
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 Tbsp corn syrup, light
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seed oil
- Cut the wonton wrappers into thin slices. In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium low, coating the pan well. Saute the wonton wrappers until evenly golden brown or about 2-3 minutes. Drain on toweling. Add the almond slivers to the same skillet and, using the residual oil, saute the almonds until beginning to brown and crisp. Place them on the toweling to drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli cole slaw, green onion, and red bell pepper. Add toasted almonds, fried wontons and sesame seeds; toss.
- In a small bowl, mix the dressing ingredients well. Pour dressing over salad and toss well to coat. Serve immediately.