Green Tomato Pasta
At the end of the growing season, you may find yourself with some green tomatoes that will not ripen. This recipe is one great way to make good use of them!
- 6 oz spaghetti or other pasta, uncooked
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb green tomatoes, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 c minced parsley
- 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c Provolone cheese, shredded or chopped
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Add spaghetti and cook 10-11 minutes, or until the doneness you prefer. Drain pasta, reserving 1/3 cup of pasta water.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a heavy, medium-sized pot. Add green tomatoes, onion, garlic, and parsley. Stir well; reduce heat, cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, red pepper flakes, salt and Provolone. Stir well, remove from flame, cover, and allow to stand 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Stir in the cooked spaghetti, and as much of the pasta water as neede to make a good texture. Serve hot with a crisp salad.