Garbanzos with Garden Penne RigatePenne rigate is pasta shaped like the ends of quill pens, cut on the diagonal, and having ridges lengthwise. In this recipe, garbanzos are paired with the penne, making an easy and economical dish that will please your taste buds.
- 1 quart water
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 oz Ronzoni Garden Delight Penne Rigate or similar tomato, carrot and spinach pasta blend
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided use
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp parsley, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1-15.5 oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained (chickpeas)
- 1 c water
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly milled pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated (or use Romano)
- Prepare the pasta by boiling the water and adding the salt. Stir in the penne rigate and cook about 6 minutes or until al dente, stirring from time to time.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium low. Add the garlic, parsley, and red pepper flakes. Saute for a minute; add the garbanzos, water, drained pasta, salt and pepper. Simmer another 4 minutes, stirring often. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil and grated Parmesan cheese. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Blend well and serve hot.