Caper and Sun-Dried Tomato Manicotti
This is a recipe that is easier than it looks, and makes for a special vegetarian entree. Rather than pasta shells, crepes are used here and they are filled with a mixture of ricotta, capers and sun-dried tomatoes.
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 15 oz carton of ricotta
- 1/2 c mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 c Italian style dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 c fresh parsley, minced
- 2 Tbsp capers, rinsed and minced
- 2 Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 eggs
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 c milk
- 1 1/3 c all purpose flour
- 3/4 c mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 1/2 c spaghetti sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- olive oil for frying crepes
- Filling: In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs using a whisk. Add the remaining filling ingredients and blend well. Set aside.
- Crepes: In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs using a whisk. Add the salt and olive oil. Alternately add the milk and flour until you have a smooth runny batter. Add extra flour or milk by tablespoons as needed to get the consistency of thin pancake batter.
- In a large crepe pan or skillet over medium low, heat a few drops of olive oil. Add about 1/3 cup of batter and rock the pan gently to spread the batter into a 6-8 inch disk shape. (This can also be done by using the back of a spoon in a circular manner to spread the batter out.) Cook a couple of minutes on one side only.
- Transfer to a holding plate and repeat with the remaining batter. You should have 10-12 crepes.
- Assembly: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and oil a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish with olive oil. Ladle some sauce over the bottom of the oiled baking dish and spread evenly.
- Fill each crepe generously with ricotta filling and roll to close. Place seam-side down in the pan. When all the manicotti are in the dish, pour the remaining sauce evenly over them and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until piping hot. Serve 2 manicotti per person with a side salad.