Cook these vegan burgers in the oven, wrap them up, and take them on a hike or picnic. They are good whether hot or cold. Serve them with a salad or on buns with all the trimmings. They hold together beautifully!
Makes 4-5 medium burgers.
- 1 c textured vegetable protein granules (TVP)
- 3/4 c boiling water
- 1/4 c ketchup
- 2 Tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp dry parsley flakes
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and oil a baking sheet large enough to hold 4-5 burgers.
- In a large bowl, stir the TVP into the boiling water. Allow to stand 10 minutes.
- Mix in the ketchup, relish Worcestershire sauce, and oil. Blend well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add this mixture to the wet ingredients and blend well.
- Using clean hands blend again and then form the mixture into 4-5 burgers, placing them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes, flip the burgers over, and bake another 10 minutes on the other side. Serve hot, room temperature, or cold.