Asparagus Egg Croquettes
Makes 14-16 croquettes
- 1 1/2 c asparagus, chopped
- 1 1/2 c boiling, salted water
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 1 c milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dry tarragon
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 c cracker meal
- 1/4 c olive oil
- lemon slices and chopped parsley for garnish
- Drop asparagus into the boiling salted water and simmer 3 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour until bubbly.
- Using a whisk, mix in the milk and salt. Cook, whisking constantly.
- When it thickens and begins to bubble, stir for one more minute over low heat.
- Remove from heat and add asparagus, chopped eggs, tarragon and black pepper. Mix lightly.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Form into balls or logs.
- Roll in cracker meal.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat and fry the croquettes a few at a time until browned on all sides, turning a few times. (Do not crowd the skillet or the croquettes will not brown properly.) Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with mashed potatoes or on a bed of steamed rice. Garnish with lemon slices and chopped parsley.