I was looking for something to do with the beautiful sweet potatoes that are in season now, other than the typical sweet potato casserole. Here is a tasty curry that is not too sweet. Serves 4-6.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger root
- 1 Tbsp mild curry powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 c vegetable stock
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1-15 oz can cranberry beans (or pintos)
- 1 c frozen peas
- 1 lemon or lime, cut in wedges
- Peel sweet potato and cut in 1/4 inch dice. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy pot on medium heat, warm oil. Saute onion for 3-4 minutes, or until transparent.
- Add garlic, ginger root, curry powder, flour and salt; saute another minute or two.
- Stir in vegetable stock, tomatoes, and beans, sweet potatoes, and peas.
- Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer about 12-15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Serve over rice and with lemon or lime wedges. If desired, sprinkle with nuts.