Chili Mac with Roasted VeggiesMy family loves Southern style Chili Mac. Here is the most delicious and healthful way to make it, using vegetarian chili and a variety of roasted veggies.
Serves 4. Prep time=10 minutes. Cooking time=20 minutes. Total time=30 minutes.
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 oz dry elbow macaroni
- 1 (20 oz) can Caroline's Five Bean Chili
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and line an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish with foil.
- In a large pot, cook elbow macaroni according to package directions and drain. Place pasta back in pot.
- Meanwhile, cut tomatoes in half and remove stem. Peel onion and cut in half. Cut peppers in quarters and remove stems and seeds. Peel garlic and leave whole.
- Place all prepared veggies and garlic in the foil-lined pan and place the pan 6 inches from the broiler. Roast vegetables 15 minutes or until they have blackened in places, turning them over midway. Allow to cool 5 minutes.
- Remove peels of tomatoes and cut in 1/2 inch chunks. Cut onion and peppers in a similar size. Mince garlic. Add all to the pot of pasta and pour in the Caroline's Five Bean Chili. Add oregano and salt. Stir over medium heat 5 minutes, or until blended and hot.
- Serve hot with a dollop of vegan or dairy sour cream.