Barley Mushroom Stew : Pressure CookerFor greatest nutrition, buy whole barley rather than the pearled variety. That way the vitamin-rich hull of the grain is intact. This hearty stew is quick and easy to make in the pressure cooker.
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp dry rosemary
- 4 c water
- 2 tsp vegetarian beef-style broth mix
- 1/2 c barley, carefully rinsed
- 1 c cabbage, shredded or chopped
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 2 c mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 c fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1-10 oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 c tomato juice
- 1/2 c green onions, sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place the uncovered pressure cooker over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Saute the onions, carrots, and celery for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and rosemary and saute another 30 seconds.
- Pour in the water, broth mix, barley, cabbage, parsnips, mushrooms, parsley, and pepper. Stir well and cover.
- Bring to full pressure, lower heat just enough to keep full pressure going, and cook 30 minutes.
- Allow to stand until the pressure has been released.
- Stir in the condensed soup, tomato juice, green onions, and salt. Serve hot.