Carob Cranberry Cookies
These festive cookies are best the second day. Cool completely and place them in a cookie tin, cookie jar, or under a cake dome until served.
Makes about 20 small cookies.
- 1/2 c dried cranberries
- 1/4 c vegetable shortening
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 c unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 c carob powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the cranberries in a heat-proof container and cover with boiling water. Allow to stand 10 minutes. Drain and set aside while proceeding with recipe.
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar until smooth. Add egg and vanilla. Combine until very creamy.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, carob powder, salt and baking powder. Add this to the creamed mixture and blend well. (Mixture will be slightly dry, but the cranberries will moisten it.
- Add cranberries and blend well. Mix in the nuts and use clean hands to combine everything.
- Working in one or two batches (depending on the size of your baking sheet) roll 1-inch balls of cookie dough. Place them 1 1/2 inches apart and press down to flatten slightly.
- Bake 12 minutes, or until firm. Transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before serving. (Best the second day.)